Thursday, March 6, 2008

banana muffs


The first thing I think of when I have leftover bananas is banana bread. I was feeling a little over the loaf thing last night and looked up some muffin recipes. Necessities were - could be made healthy, and no nuts. I found one, added and subtracted as necessary, and added dried cranberries. I actually came up with a new house favorite. I always worry that if I take out the butter or oil it will taste dry. This one is quite the opposite. Here is my new version of banana non-nut muffins:
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups mixed flour - half white, half wheat
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

a handful or two dried cranberries
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, and egg. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Add cranberries. Spoon batter into muffin cups.
3. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

No comments: